Sunday, March 06, 2005

Hugh Hewitt and Beldar on FEC regulation of the internet

It's not gonna happen. A law professor, Hugh writes:
I have been teaching the First Amendment for a decade, and it isn't going to happen because it would be patently and obviously unconstitutional to classify the content of a political blog --which is essentially a cyber-newspaper-- as within the purview of the FEC.

Beldar even more closely reflects my feelings:
I'm emphatically not an expert on campaign finance laws, but I do know my way, in a general sense, around First Amendment precedent. [S]peaking just as one crusty old trial lawyer who also happens to write a blog with his bemused observations and occasional rants about politics, I'm damned sure not going to change my blogging style, nor start running disclaimers every time I blog about a political issue or a politician/candidate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home