Monday, May 23, 2005

Star Wars and Disney World

Lileks has this in today's Bleat
I plan to see Star Wars this week, because it’s the law.
I read that to my wife a minute ago and she laughed and said, "Just like Disney World. You have to do it. You don't even stop to ask yourself if you really want to or not."

The first time we went to Disney, Madison had just turned five. It was November and the temperature got warm enough to get sweaty in mid-afternoon. You carried that dried sweat feeling until you left the park at 9 pm. One evening we were taking the tram back to the parking lot. A boy and girl in one family were crying over whose toy had been broken already by whom. Everyone was tired and cranky. My wife leaned over and whispered to me, "No one is smiling." There wasn't a smile on the tram that I could see.

I can't imagine going in July and I lived in Orlando for 8 years! I actually didn't mind playing golf on summer afternoons in that heat, but I wouldn't want to do Disney then.

Imagine driving down a local highway in the heat of summer and seeing a new attraction with this offer: you and your family can stand in line in the heat for an hour; at the end of the hour, you get to watch wooden puppets move their lips to a song like "It's a Small World after All" for all of five minutes. Cost -- 50 bucks.

I'm not sure that such an attraction would succeed. But that's Disney World -- except you get to do it 10 hours a day for 4 days. And then drive all day to get home.

My kids can't wait to do it again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home