Thursday, October 20, 2005

Kicking and screaming on the floor

I have children ages 2,5, and 11. Thus, the behavior of the chicken little conservatives over the Miers nomination is really familiar. So is the "logic". Although in all fairness to Madison, he will be 12 soon and he is generally more mature than all that. The chicken littles have most resembled Catherine as she traverses through the sometimes "terrible twos".

The arguments against the Miers nomination can be categorized as follows:

1. She didn't go to the right schools (yes, the elitist snobs did say that).
2. Bush didn't follow my advice on who to nominate, so he's not my friend any more.
3. Bush didn't veto the highway bill, so he's not my friend any more.
4. Bush didn't follow my advice on immigration, so he's not my friend any more.
5. Bush has NEVER really been a conservative, so he's never been my friend.
6. She has to explicitly pass all my ideological litmus tests or I won't be her friend.

I have yet to read anyone make the case that the defeat of this nomination will aid the prosecution of the war or advance the cause of conservatism or help the GOP in future elections. So I can only conclude that all this has amounted to nothing but a huge temper tantrum.

The most egregious part of the chicken little tantrum has to be the way those who have kicked and screamed are now blaming the president for their tantrum. Apparently, Bush should have known they were going to pout and rant, if they didn't get their way. So all their tears are his fault.

1 Comments:

Blogger SGT Ted said...

You need to read her answers to the Senate questionairre. I was somewhat of your thinking until I did that. After reading her answers, I am now against her nomination. She is a featherweight intellect and the nation deserves better. Crony indeed.

12:53 PM, October 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home