Monday, March 07, 2005

Dan Rather -- liar from the start

Philip Chalk has the story on Dan Rather, serial liar from his days in Dallas. He took credit for the scoop on JFK having died when the info was actually obtained by his boss. Then he knowingly lied to the world when he reported that Dallas schoolchildren had cheered when they heard that the president had been shot. This supposedly demonstrated how filled with hate Dallas was. As Rather well knew, the children only cheered when they were told they could go home early. They weren't told the reason why.

I was a 2d grader in New Jersey that day. We were also sent home early that day and we were told why. I remember two kids skipping down the sidewalk that led through the playground happily chanting "Kendy got shocked in the head, we get to go home." They had no idea who "Kendy" was, or that he was shot, not "shocked." They were just pleased to go home early.

I also remember how upset my parents were. I didn't quite understand why. I knew that they were Republicans and this JFK guy was a Democrat. My parents explained that our country was far more important than differences in political party affiliation (in addition to explaining how horrible it was for his family).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home