Wednesday, June 01, 2005

A vacation from our vacation

We are here at the beach on St. George Island across from Apalachicola, Florida. We rented a big house right on the beach. In addition to my wife and 3 kids, we have my mother, my brother and his 2 kids, and my sister, her husband and their 2 girls.

Wow.

All of us have internet via cable. None of us have a dial-up provider and the house can only access the internet via dial-up. So I have driven over the bridge and down US 98 to an internet cafe, Cafe con Leche, in Apalachicola to blog this. Linda and the other people here are very helpful.

The weather has been bad for the last two days, but cabin fever hasn't set in. Yet.

Of course, as anyone with a two year-old knows, you are never really on vacation. And that pretty much holds for William who just turned five. Not to mention keeping up with the 2 teens and 3 pre-teens. I have done a lot of digging and waded out into the waves quite a bit. If Angie and I were here by ourselves, we would be in complete veg-out mode -- reading and catching rays. Knowing how little time I would have to read, I didn't even bring a book (once upon a time, I would average a book a day on vacation).

I have to mention one thing about William. He may have just turned five, but he is absolutely intent on keeping up with his brother (11) and his cousins (10 and almost 12). With the storms, the waves each of the last two mornings have been pretty rough. He's out there with the rest of them until the waves just beat him up. He won't quit until his little body can't take anymore. Of course, that same competitiveness was the reason I looked in the rear view mirror driving down here and saw him beating furiously on big brother, Madison. All because Madison had beaten him in the video game they were playing on their Game Cube. Thank goodness Madison didn't hit him back. We're not always so lucky.

Family vacations always have the potential for stress. My wife, Angie, has been a champ. She really does a great job of keeping things smooth and easy. She deserves her own vacation. Of course, she deserves that just for being married to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home