Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Martin Eakes in the WSJ

The dead tree edition of the WSJ has a profile of on the front page of the Money and Investing section entitled, "When Eakes Speaks, Citigroup Listens." It is a good read. Eakes and his wife, Bonnie Wright, were both students at Davidson when I was there. The article describes how Eakes graduated from Yale Law School and formed a non-profit to provide financial help to minorities.

As I recall, Eakes was very liberal in school and I suspect his political views haven't changed much (unlike his good friend at Davidson, Tony Snow of Fox News, who has changed quite a bit from those days on the left). I did have to laugh at this: "At first, Mr. Eakes says he assumed that African-Americans had trouble getting loans simply because mainstream bankers were ignorant racists." After two of his first three loans defaulted, "I realized that I wasn't as smart as I thought, and my banker friends weren't nearly as stupid as I thought."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home